Friday, September 21, 2007

Weird-ism

This post has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss at all. So, if that bugs you a little bit feel free to check back on the next post :-)

I have a family blog, and I thought about posting this on there, however, it’s truly a “family” blog for friends and family, and I don’t want them thinking of this every time I see them over the next however many years :-)

I am a sensitive person. I’m sure my husband would describe me as a VERY sensitive person. So much so, that I feel like I have this weird “ability” to read INTO almost anything someone can say, or even NOT say to me. It can be a simple “hello” at a grocery store, and I feel like I can sum up that person in a heartbeat. It’s bazaar, and I know that, however, I cannot seem to shake it no matter how hard I try.

This is what spawned my post. Today I took my kids to a local park to play since school was out due to teacher inservices. We had a blast! While we were there, I happened to recognize a little boy. At first I couldn’t place it. It was like my brain was doing a “computer search” for this “file” (face). My mind raced and I looked up at the mother, who I’m sure thought I was a tad wacko because I stared at her son for about 10 seconds, then looked up at her and asked, “Do you go to “insert church name here”?” She looked at me a little irritated and said, “No.” I tried again….”Is he in preschool somewhere?” Same reply back. “No.”

Let me add in here that these “no’s” were somewhat irritating sounding to me so I began to feel a tad uncomfortable so I felt even MORE compelled to figure this out so she didn’t think I was some psycho mom staring at her child! Hmmm…I already covered my two “child” outlets…where else…….then it dawned on me…….

"He was in a Mother’s Day Out program last year, wasn’t he?” Almost reluctantly she said, “Yes, at (insert church name here).” AHHH!!! That’s where I recognize him from! My son, Andrew went there last year and I subbed at the preschool a handful of times. “Oh.” she says in a very, almost annoyed tone.

And that was the end of the conversation.

So, my mind begins to spin. “Why is she being so weird? Did I say something wrong? Ask it wrong? Am I not dressed appropriately or something?” (see, my insecurities begin to kick in, huh?)

She looked to be a mom in her early 30’s, thin, nicely dressed and groomed, makeup, etc.
Who knows why she reacted the way she did toward me but it stung. It reminded me of being back in middle school or even high school when you got the “You’re not included” signal from someone or group. It’s weird. I often wonder if I’m the only one who ever feels this way which makes me NOT talk about it. Who knows. Maybe it’s a 6th sense or something (just kidding).

This is just one example of a bazillion I could tell you about. Andrew’s preschool moms are the same way. Obviously not ALL of them. Really, most of them are so wonderful and sweet and nice and….you get my point. But there’s a couple of women who dress to the hilt, have BEAUTIFUL hair, makeup, clothes, vehicles that could probably pay off our home, etc. We (mothers) have to see each other every morning and every afternoon because we drop off and pick up our kids at the exact same place (duh)so you would think it could all be nice and polite for a few minutes?! It’s as though there’s a club of sorts that you have to be inducted in to and I didn’t get invited. Again, I’m telling you it’s weird.

So, there's my weird-ism. We all have them I guess, I just haven't learned to deal with mine yet. I'm only 34!!!!!!!!!

Ok. Thanks for giving me a place to voice a weird-ism of mine :-)

2 comments:

Grumpy Chair said...

I do the same thing. Except I blame my "fatness". When someone is rude to me, the chubby cherub that sits on my shoulder whispers "it's because your fat, that's why she is being rude to you".

Maybe the mom was having an off day and not feeling very sociable.

Regarding boiling the ground beef: I break it up with a wooden spoon when I put the meat into the water before it boils. Here is a link to low-fat Greek Chili:

http://thegrumpychairdieter.blogspot.com/2006/11/trading-recipes.html

I found your blog link when reading another blog. I weigh 175 pounds too, but you are two inches taller. I also have a four year old - Grumpette and a 10 year old son.

Anonymous said...

When people treat me like that I just think to myself "what a shame, you don't know what a great person ýou're missing out on!"

And maybe this is snobby of ME but I think I'm a pretty great person and I'm fun to be around. I love to laugh, I'm a good friend and I'm honest. I'd give you the shirt off my back if you needed it. If somebody snubs me I truly think it is THEIR loss, not mine. I think you have every right to think the same way.

Hold yourself up to that higher standard (in your own mind) and think of these things are THEIR losses. You're a great person aren't you? You're fun to be around aren't you? You're a true honest and loyal friend aren't you? Then after you think that, don't think about them again. It's not worth your time. With people like that you're not missing out on anything, trust me.