Monday, May 21, 2007

Outside vs. Inside

My 10 month old daughter, Katie, is a little under the weather. She had the flu about a month ago and never really shook off the cough that accompanied her illness and last night her temp went up to 101.1. I know that body temps usually are elevated in the evenings anyway but I knew this cough was probably becoming an infection of sorts. So, I tell you that to say I didn't go to the Y this morning, but rather, went for a walk around the neighborhood. I have clocked a path that is exactly one mile, and that is what I walked. As I was walking it made me wonder, surly you burn more calories if you are walking outside rather than on a treadmill---here's my logic (which could be way goofed up)---a tread mill's belts keep running no matter what. When you are walking on the pavement, YOU have to create the momentum it takes to keep going....is this my brain's way of phyching me out?!? :-) I'd be curious of your thoughts on this one....

I do know that you can keep your walking pace WAY more consistent when you are on a treadmill. No matter how your body feels, those belts keep on a truckin', where as when I was walking up a little incline my body said to me, "HEY!!! This takes more work!!" Of course I was pushing a stroller too, but anyway.....your thoughts???

Another very STUPID question I have is this.......when "THEY" say you should drink 8 "GLASSES" of water a day......what constitutes a glass? I'm assuming 8 oz. Again, what are your thoughts?

Breakfast:
Coffee w/ FF creamer & Splenda
Kashi TLC (Tasty Little Chewies) Peanut Butter Bar

snack: Kashi TLC Peanut Butter Bar

Dinner:
small grilled chicken breast
salad w/ lite ranch and crumbled blue cheese
7 large shrimp w/ a little cocktail sauce
1/2 banana
small bowl of cherries

snack: small hand full of pretzels

Water: 3 bottles of water
1 dt. caffeine free Dr. Pepper

2 comments:

Oinkstop said...

I don't think there's much difference between walking on a treadmill or walking outside, as long as you put forth the same amount of effort. If nothing else, walking outside is a little more interesting, because there are more things to see.

As for the water, you are supposed to drink eight 8-oz glasses every day. I do make an effort to drink more, but I don't always get in the required amount, simply because I get exhausted from all the trips to the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

read this about the water thing:

http://health.msn.com/general/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100163331

I don't know if it is true or not, but worth a thought...you do get a lot of water out of food. I HAVE noticed, that sometimes when I think I am hungry, and I go drink a big glass of water, I am not hungry. :)

As for the treadmill thing, my runner friend at MTSU, Boniface Amuzu, agrees with you! He ran only outside or around the track, because he says when you run on a treadmill you are not getting the full effect because you do not have to push forward. He says it is the difference between marching in place and walking. :) I think that anything is good, though, so I am not discouraging the treadmill, but I think that maybe a slight incline would mean that you have to push forward a little :)

Thanks, Scraffy, your blog is inspiring me to get rid of the rest of my Xavier weight!!!