Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Morning After

Today is the second day I've gone to the Y. It feels good to be doing something for me for a change.

Andrew went to preschool today and Katie stayed in the Y nursery while I walked.

35 minutes walking on the treadmill-- 1.6 miles (speed=3.0)

Today while I was walking on the treadmill, I was curious how all of these moms do it. They look like they are a size 2, with three children! I want to be like that. I want to be thin. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing this for the wrong reason. I get that I should be doing it for ME and for my health---I am---but I still want to look cute in a little black dress, again. Is this wrong? Right now, whatever will help with my motivation is all I care about!

Grocery shopping
I hate trying to shop 'healthy'. Most of the time it's more expensive, but that's not my biggest annoyance. It's my lack of knowledge that drives me insane. How much of this? How many calories are ok? What's good...what's bad? High protein, low protein.....lots of carbs, not a lot of carbs....no sugar....fat free..........UGH!!! And the way they market things drive me insane, too. It appears to me that they want to add FAT FREE, HEALTHY, or 33% less calories than the leading brand. I spend more time reading labels than actually shopping! Grrrr.....

I bought fresh parsley for the first time today. Let's hope I use it correctly! ha I also bought two new spices. I have to admit I haven't bought any spices since....before our wedding? (we just celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary, so that shows you how often I buy them :-)

I also bought wheat pasta. I have tried this before and HATED it. Jenny--I bought the angel hair pasta per your request...I'll let you know how it turns out!

Food Diary:

Breakfast:
1 1/2 cups of dry cheerios

snack:
1 cup Kashi "Mighty Bites"

Lunch:
PB & J (sugar free preserves)
whole wheat white bread
15 pretzels
Craisins (cherry flavored)--THESE ARE GREAT!

Dinner:
Chicken/(brown) rice casserole (recipe below)
Salad w/Italian dressing
fruit bowl (strawberries/blackberries/blueberries)

snack:
handful of mini-marshmallows

Liquid consumed

Dt. Mt. Dew

2 bottles of water



Chicken Rice Casserole with Mozzarella

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1-1/2 medium red bell peppers, diced
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked brown or white rice
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons non-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
8 ounces skinless, diced cooked chicken or smoked turkey
3 ounces part skim milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup chopped parsley


Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 1-1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the bell peppers, corn 1/4 cup of the broth, the thyme and black pepper, and continue cooking until the bell pepper begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.

Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup broth, the rice, sour cream, and mustard. Add the chicken, remove from the heat, and stir until well combined. Stir in one-third of the mozzarella and the parsley.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole. Spread the mixture evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the cheese has melted.


Yield: 4 servings

Nutrition Information:Values are approximate per serving: 378 calories, 28 g protein, 12 g fat, 39 g carbohydrate, 63 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium.

No comments: