Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Convenience

That's a huge problem not only with me but society. Everything is about "convenience" and not so much about what the RIGHT thing to do is. "What makes my life easier" is usually the path I choose, however, when it comes to food, that's NOT a good thing. Eating right just doesn't seem very convenient to me. Maybe it's just my bad habits that make it seem so INconvenient. Anyway, I just thought I would point that out because today, while I was going crazy trying to get out of the house on time to get my son to preschool, I was STARVING but didn't have time to eat or have my coffee---both of which are bad for anyone who has to deal with me :-) I poured some cereal in a plastic cup and grabbed a bottle of water and off we went. On my 4 mile trek down ONE street to get to my son's preschool, I pass 6 fast food restaurants. Do you know how good a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit would taste rather than my Kashi Crunchy cereal?! It just irritates the crud out of me to TRULY WANT something but trying to be disciplined enough to not have it.

There's nothing in my life, other than food, that I feel this way about. Would it be NICE to have a HUGE vehicle that both of the kids AND all of their STUFF could fit in?? SURE. But do I think about a LOT. NO. I don't EVER think about it because our little Camry gets us around and does the job.

Clothes---I don't care about this really either. Just as long as I can have clothes on while I'm staying at home with my kids, and don't have to wear the same pair of dress pants every Sunday to church, I'm fine.

I know you get my point but I just don't get it. I don't GET why my taste pallet almost CRAVES things that are BAD for me. A sausage, egg and cheese biscuit is as good as a fillet mignon!

I'm just filled with issues, aren't I? :-)

Chips:

I bought some chips at the store yesterday in hopes that they are OK to eat. I have not done much research on chips but I really really do like chips. I like the salt more than anything. I bought these Doritos that are called "Natural White Nacho Cheese Doritos". They taste GREAT, however I'm sure they aren't a great snack....because I like them :-)
I also bought some Keebler Right Bites which are fudge covered shortbread cookies in 100 calorie snack packs. I LOVE these things! Good for you? Look HERE. You be the judge...I'm sure they are not but for a once a week treat, I'm okay with this. (I think ;-)



Food diary:

Breakfast:
Kashi crunch cereal
1 cup of FF milk before I ran out the door

Lunch:
20 fresh cherries (LOOOOVE THEM!)
Lean Cuisine 3 meat pizza
Chips (as discussed above)
Dessert: 100 calorie snack pack of cookies

Dinner:
Quick Chicken and noodles (recipe below)
small bowl of cherriessalad with blue cheese added

Drinks:
2 bottle of water
3/4 can of Dt. Caffeine Free Dr. Pepper

Quick Chicken and Noodles

Prep: 5 min - Cook: 25 min

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) Swanson Chicken Broth (1 3/4 cups)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups frozen vegetable combination (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
2 cups dry medium egg noodles


In medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken 10 minutes or until browned. Sprinkle with garlic powder and paprika. Set chicken aside.

Add broth, basil, pepper and vegetables. Heat to a boil. Stir in noodles. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.

Makes 4 servings

Nutritional Values Per Serving:
Calories 245, Total Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 91mg, Sodium 528mg, Total Carbohydrate 18g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 32g

1 comment:

jrb said...

Have you tried the Terra Brand chips? They cost an arm and a leg but they're very salty and tasty. The ones we have now are called "Terra Kettles Krinkle Cut Blend" Ingredients are white potatoes, russet potatoes, sweet potatoes, canola oil, sea salt. You can look up and see how the calorie info compares. Easton snubs the orange chips (sweet potato) but they are my favorite.