Monday, July 16, 2007

Where do you STAND on water?

I have always struggled to drink plane-jane water. I don't really like it at all. Now, give me a little flavoring in my water, and BINGO, I'm great. The only time I have EVER craved water is when I have been out in the heat for extended periods of time, then I can drink nothing else. So, I have always struggled with the "8 glasses a day" thing. When I did weight watchers, they said try to drink 8 glasses (64 oz) of water/flavored water/tea in a given 24 hours. I just couldn't do it. I even posted about that a while back. It's just too much for me. HOWEVER, SparkPeople posted this article, which makes sense to me. Take a read....it'll only take you 30 seconds...


ASK THE EXPERTS

Can other drinks such as diet sodas and herbal tea count towards my 8 glasses of water for the day?


The latest recommendations from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science, Dietary Reference Intake for Electrolytes and Water say (say that 5 times fast!!! haha) :

"The fluids consumed do not have to be only water (AMEN!!!). Individuals can obtain their fluids from a variety of beverages and foods. Contrary to popular opinion, consumers do not need to consume 'eight glasses of water a day' to meet their fluid needs."

However my own personal opinion, particularly for people trying to lose weight, is to encourage additional water intake whenever possible. I feel it helps to cleanse the body when weight loss and fat breakdown is occurring. I also know that it helps to keep the hands and mouth busy, so snacking is less. This is a form of behavior modification. I personally know that many people feel better when at least 4-6 glasses of plain old H2O is consumed to help meet total fluid needs.

Written by Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian


I have no doubt that this is a controversy just like Global Warming, Religion and the next President of the US, but for now, I am just peachy with the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science's statement.

2 comments:

*ccc* said...

Oh water, water, water...

I am only now starting to appreciate it in its plain cold state (It's the only thing I can tolerate drinking during and after a workout), but there are plenty of little tricks to getting it in there...

I love the little Crystal Lite packets you can toss in a bottle of water, and Dasani's flavored waters are straight from heaven.

But it is good to know every once in a while, if I can't get the water down, a Diet Coke can work in a pinch ;)

Shannon said...

CCC, Thanks for stopping by! I really enjoy your blog.

I haven't tried the Crystal Lite packs yet, though I have heard they are great. I'll check em out! My "fad" right now is Propel. Sometimes I just HAVE to have some flavor to what I'm drinking.

Thanks so much visiting! By the way, congrats on 26 pounds down! THAT, my dear, is AWESOME!!!