Monday, March 9, 2009

Sheepishly

So, I think I'm heading toward running a 5K to give me something to focus on instead of just "going to the gym". Maybe by putting it in writing I'll stick to it? We'll see.

Today was my official DAY ONE of training. My goal was to run an itty bit. Run one minute, walk 4. I was able to do this 5 times before I had to leave the gym to pick up the kiddos. I know I could have done it longer, which was frustrating to have to stop, however, I think that's a good thing, right?

:-)

It sure helps to have Comedy Central on the TV making you LAUGH through your running. Come to think of it, maybe it's a brain teaser........they tell you laughing releases endorphins, right? So, if you exercise (which releases endorphins), and laugh at the same time, I guess you get a DOUBLE dose. That's my theory anyway :-)

On a different note, I really do want to take progress pictures...........BUT I'M SCARED!!! :-)

Here's one for you. A friend of mine told me that you burn the same amount of calories walking or running as long as you go the same distance. TRUE?? It takes you LONGER to walk, so that's more steps. Running gets it done faster. Definitely an interesting concept!!!

3 comments:

Oinkstop said...

I read somewhere that the running/walking thing is actually a dieting myth. Running burns more calories.

As for running a 5K, my hat is off to you. I would never consider such a think. Heck, running 5 blocks would probably be too far for me!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Oinkstop. I had to go to some PD class on health and they said the same thing - running is better. Something about heart rate and fat burning and if a train leaves the station at 6:00....you get the idea.

The Fatty Cake Girls said...

Hey there! I am new and ran across your blog after my friend and I started our own weightloss blog. I wanted to tell you that I too am doing a couch to 5k program! Be encouraged that there is no "myth" to it. You can either run full out, or you can not. (hey, we are who we are!) Interval training helps one get there! Of course running burns more! And that is our goal right? :) Taking it slow with intervals is the way to gain more stamina and enjoy it while you gain endurance! I look forward to reading your progress in the weeks to come as I too plug away with my Nike's! :)
~Lynnette