Monday, August 6, 2007

Food with a PUNCH

OK, I totally stole this from a SparkPeople email, but I thought it might help my fellow weight loss buddies!

It's a small list of food that packs a punch...

GRAINS:

  • whole wheat cereal
  • oatmeal
  • whole wheat bread, pita, bagel, pasta
  • brown rice
  • deli rye
  • pure bran muffins
  • cream of wheat
  • raisin bread

FRUITS/VEGGIES:

  • oranges
  • berries (especially blueberries)
  • cantaloupe
  • watermelon
  • apples
  • avocado
  • chili peppers
  • spinach
  • sweet potatoes

DAIRY/PROTEIN:

  • low fat or skim milk
  • low fat yogurt
  • salmon
  • tuna
  • chicken
  • almonds
  • peanuts
  • walnuts/hazelnuts
  • beans
  • eggs

3 comments:

dodo said...

I like most of the foods listed, but I have to watch portion control; several of them have a lot of calories packed in them, too, besides that "punch".
As for the "belly" in your previous post: Mine has gotten bigger and less firm as I've gotten older. It's a thing I don't think there's much hope for, and when I get the weight off I hope they're still making what we used to call "girdles". Right now I don't wear one, as I enjoy breathing.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to add something, too. Sometimes it is hard to get all of those whole grains in your diet...but I found a trick. I buy grains like flaxseed meal and oats etc and I put them in my yogurt. That way I know I'm getting my grains, plus added to the yogurt (non-fat of course), it really fills you up!

Shannon said...

Ash, you are right, some are high in calories...that's a good point.

GIRDLES...that makes me think of my grandmother because she wore one every day of her life!!! Yeah, whatever will hold it in, I'm willing to do it when I need to! It's all about the sacrifice, right?? haha

Katie,
GREAT POINT! I haven't thought about adding the grains into yogurt! You are so smart! I'm going to steal that idea from you in the morning! THANKS!