Thursday, August 23, 2007

Now I'm only OVER WEIGHT!!

I wish I could come up with some creative titles for my posts..........some of you out there are very good at it!

The past week and a half or so has been a little rough as far as the eating goes. I will begin first by saying on Tuesday morning, (my new weigh-in day) I was at 179!! So, now I am officially a "70's" girl. I guess that would be a "170's" girl but hey, it gets the point across :-) This puts me as "OVER WEIGHT" on the BMI scale, as opposed to OBESE, so that's a VERY good thing!

Now, back to my rough week. I guess saying it was "rough" is a little over stated, but I will say it has been a little harder to make the "RIGHT" choices. We have a Carrabbas restaurant near us.....which is just terrible because they have INCREDIBLE Italian cuisine. I literally could eat an entire loaf of bread with their oil and special mixes of herbs and spices. Holy cow it's good! MOST of the time I get salmon or chicken, which is ALWAYS wonderful, but you know....when you go out to eat sometimes, you just want a big, fat juicy piece of RED meat! We went out to eat after church this past Sunday and I got a steak.........it was fixed PERFECTLY. I ate about 8-10 bites and figured that was PLENTY, and gave the rest to my husband. MY GOODNESS every bite was heavenly. I am STILL waiting for my taste buds to LOVE the healthy stuff more than STEAK and ICE CREAM and FUDGE and OOEY GOOEY BROWNIES! haha You get my point. :-) I really don't think that will ever happen, but I can wish for it, right?!?!

Here's a question for all of you......how many times, on average, do you eat out (or order out) in a 7 day period? I KNOW that times have changed because when I was little, we ONLY ate out on Sunday afternoons, after church, and THAT, in itself, was a VERY special treat. We only did that probably once a month.

I am VERY interested in what you used to do when you were growing up, AND, what you do now, so please post and let me know!

5 comments:

dodo said...

When I was growing up, my mother cooked everything from scratch, and as we used to say, "cooked for thrashers", meaning LOTS! When Dairy Queen and Shoney's came along, we would very rarely get something from there and take it home or eat in the car. We took our own popcorn to the drive-in movie.
Now? DH & I get something after church every Sunday (Bob Evans, McD's, KFC, and the like) and when I'm out on Tuesdays to "fat class" and running errands, I pick up a deli hot meal (baked steak) most weeks. So that's twice a week. Sometimes after his PT he'll get a carry-home breakfast, like biscuits & gravy from Biscuit World or pancakes & sausage from McD's. I generally don't get anything because I've had breakfast at home before we went. But he prefers to exercise on an empty stomach.
I can cook, but these days I open cans and boxes, stir-fry chicken and veggies, make salads, etc. I don't put out a four-course meal like I did years ago.

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up my mom cooked every meal for us. We never went out to eat. My dad didn't (and still doesn't) like eating in restaurants although he's more relaxed about it now. We didn't have a lot of money and with 5 kids I think that may have played a big part it in all. We may have ordered pizza maybe once a month, if that.

Now I eat out probably 3 times a week now. Twice is on the weekends for one meal and once is through the week for lunch with my colleagues.

Congrats on being overweight!

dancer-in-me said...

First, let me say CONGRATS!!! Weigh to go!!

We rarely ate out as well. My gma raised me and every thing was a large home cooked meal. We always had people over as well. She was feeding everybody. We did go out to eat every once in a great moon. It was a special treat.

We use to eat out at least 3 times a week. Since I have been eating heathier it is more twice a month. I like the idea of making it more of a treat instead of the norm. Then you really enjoy it more when you do.

*ccc* said...

Eating out has always been a constant in my life--which is probably why I've always been overweight.

My mother had a pretty demanding career and the last thing she wanted to when picking me up from my grandparents at 7 p.m. was cook dinner. So takeout was big. Fatty Cuban meals eaten at my grandma's were big.

And because of my mom's job which involved treating her clients--and often their families--to meals meant I'd eat out at least twice a week.

I'm trying to change things now that I have my own home and husband, but we still eat out about twice a week--and that's at sit-down and have a meal restaurants.

We often get fast food if I'm working late (thank heavens for Wendy's and its low-fat chili) or takeout (sushi, anyone?)

I'm sure all of it has affected my weight loss efforts, but one thing I have learned is that if you DO want to make healthy choices, you can. I'm finally starting to grasp that you can eat at McDonald's without scarfing a Big Mac, ya know?

Naturally Blessed said...

i am sooo happy for you! really, Shannon. you are doing great! hurray for the 70's!

we have a Carrabas wehre i am too....skoot over and i'll help you with that loaf of bread. lol...you know you shouldn't be eating that all by yourself! LOL!

growing eating out was DEFINITELY a treat! there were many times when we didnt eat out at all....even most sunday dinners were at home.....in my teen, we got treated out to sundays out bc with long days since my dad was a pastor, my mom just wasn't up for the cooking.

this history is probably why i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to eat out now. i eat out a lot. (now, i'm only gonna ocunt dinners) before i tried to get healthy, we ate out for dinner 3-4 times a week. lunches were always out bc i didnt carry a bag lunch.

now, when i'm a good girl, and cook like i'm supposed to (its been lagging lately)its about 1-2 meals out a week in total. thas lunch and dinner. but lately, i'm almost back to my pre-healthy stats....i just try really hard to make healthier decisions.

once i go to the grocery store, thats gonna stop, bc i really dont have money to be eating out like this right now.

and if you figure out how to make the healthy stuff taste as good as the bad stuff...please share...bc i'm dealing with that right now.